Today, I am going to discuss about the installation of CUDA 6.5 Toolkit & Drivers on Fedora 20. From last few days a number of query regarding this problems are being asked. And Yes, Installation of CUDA Toolkit on Fedora 20 (Heisenbug) release is really a tough and challenging task. There are number of problems encountered during the installation of CUDA Toolkit.
Following are the basic components necessary to install CUDA SDK on Fedora 20.
As, Fedora 20 Heisenbug release is not as stable as its previous versions, one may face the problems during the installation of CUDA such as Display Drivers of Fedora 20 may not support GPU card Drivers, Flickering of Display while you use it,etc.
Follow these steps to get rid of all problems and ease the installation experience.
1) First Update Fedora 20 by using following command
$ yum update
2) Verify the system has a CUDA-capable GPU.
$ lspci | grep -i nvidia
3) Verify the system is running a supported version of Linux.
$ uname -m && cat /etc/*release
4) Verify the system has gcc installed.
$ gcc --version
5) Add RPMFusion Repositories (Free and Non-Free)
Download RPMFusion Repositories from following link
1) RPMFusion Free & 2) RPMFusion NonFree
Now, install RPM Repositories using following commands
$ rpm -ivh rpmfusion-free-release-20.noarch.rpm $ rpm -ivh rpmfusion-nonfree-release-20.noarch.rpm
6) Clean the system
$ yum clean all
7) Install dependencies of akmods by following command (Prerequisite for CUDA). This is Display driver requirement. In many cases, one may face lot of problems due to not following this step.
$ yum install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs kernel-devel acpid
8) Download CUDA Repo RPM following link (CUDA Toolkit Documentation)
You need to select your Operating system and corresponding RPM & RUN file.
Name of the file is : cuda-repo-fedora20-6.5-14.x86_64.rpm
Install it by following command :
$ rpm -ivh cuda-repo-fedora20-6.5-14.x86_64.rpm
9) Again clean the system,
$ yum clean all
10) Now install RUN File by following command
$ yum install cuda
The setup is about 1GB and will ask for confirmation several times. Press 'y' when asked for confirmation. (Actual CUDA installation of libraries, runtime packages & Nsight eclipse edition)
11) Reboot system and you can start coding from Nsight eclipse edition.
I hope after following these steps you will be able to complete installation of CUDA 6.5 on Fedora 20 without any errors. Please do comment in the comment box below if you face any problems. I will be glad to help you.
Previous Post: Open Source Home Page
Next Post: How To install CUDA on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr
These installation steps worked for me. Nicely explained author. Good efforts for writing post. Keep these efforts.ReplyDelete